Kanazawa Hotel - Murataya Ryokan

I spent two nights in this ryokan. My room was named Kiku, one floor up and served by a very narrow and steep set of stairs - my private stairway - to the left of the common room. This feature made it more private than I expect the other rooms would be. The windows gave unto on an inner courtyard with a small Japanese Garden within. It seems many of the rooms gave onto the courtyard. The tatami mats, low table, futon, television were all well kept and clean. Like the other Japanese-style rooms I have had it was a decent size and the futon was comfortable with comforters and blankets. I did not have breakfasts at this ryokan so I can’t comment on them. They are 500¥ for a European breakfast and 800¥ for a Japanese breakfast. There is a computer with high-speed access to the internet. You can’t use your own as there is no wi-fi nor any possibility for LAN connections. (The Seattle’s Best Coffee outlet behind the hotel, on the main street has a Freespot). The one downside was that the smell of cigarette smoke from the common room drifted up to my room. The first night it didn’t last too long but the second night there was some Japanese league baseball game and three guys were having beers, snacks and cigarettes. Most places I have been to (inns and restaurants) have pretty powerful fans that blow that disgusting smell outdoors - not here. That aside, it is a nice place to stay. Great location off the main shopping street and easy walking to the main sights. The room rate was 4700¥. Value for money = 2.5 for non-smokers - 3 for those with that nasty habit.






Let me know what you think about what you have just read. Please and thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temples, Forests and Streams - Nikko

The Ueno Area - History in Art and Those Passed Away

Tsukiji Is Moving!