Harajuku and Shibuya

These two neighbourhoods within Tokyo were my favourite and ones that I made a point of returning to on my last day in Japan.  To get there I took the Yamanote Line to the Harajuku station.

Harajuku again delivers on the contrasts I have seen throughout Japan - modern vs. centuries old traditions.  My first visit in the neighbourhood was the Meiji-jingu-koen.  This is a park just to the west of the train station.  There were many birdsongs in the air, it was peaceful and the shrine itself was pristine.  I really felt like I belonged in this park....I was quite moved actually.  It is a feeling that I had multiple times in Japan and I don't know how to explain it.  Almost like a part of me somehow comes from these lands.

From there I headed down Takeshita-dori.  This is THE street to walk down if you want to see Japanese teenagers dressed in maid, punk-rock, electric, funk dress.  Anything goes.  The shops and the pedestrian only street are jam packed with young people expressing themselves.  I continued down Takeshita-dori and it became calmer and the boutiques more upscale.  On to Omotesando and you could easily be in a European capital.  A wide boulevard with all the haute couture shops (Dior, Versace...it goes on).  The one difference being that it is not only a small one storey boutique.  We are talking three or four storeys here.  Cafes, terraces.  From there I walked about twenty minutes to Shibuya.


Shibuya is the shopping mecca.  There are apparently not enough stores on the streets so the ten storey buildings all around are filled with small boutiques as well.  Each one is advertised with a neon sign outside.  Lots of action, lots of people, great energy.  As with other places in Japan it was surprisingly quiet, people were well behaved and I never saw any arguments.

The day ended with my walk back to Harajuku station along the street that forms the southern end of the park I began my day at.  It was a sunny Sunday afternoon and I loved what I saw.  Musical bands, every 10 metres or so, set up with their amps, their instruments and playing, singing, cranking out tunes.  Punk, metal, jazz, classical, rock, country, electronica.  Crowds gathered around each band and as you walked along the sidewalk one genre faded into another.  It was, again, great expression by the, mostly, youth of Tokyo.


I have to say that was has struck me about Tokyo is that, while there are not many non-Japanese walking around (not as much as in European and North American cities) you can definitely sense the influence of the world here - in their dress, their, music, their style, their food.  They seem to take what is best of the world and morph it into something new, something uniquely Japanese.  It is a wonderful part of Tokyo.


View Larger Map

Let me know what you think about what you have just read. Please and thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temples, Forests and Streams - Nikko

The Ueno Area - History in Art and Those Passed Away

Taking the Train - Stereotypes of Japan